Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wicked Good


Went to see Wicked again and like my marriages, it was so much better the second time around. Wicked of course is the story of the witches of Oz; the Wicked Witch of the West, still travelling about on the conventional broomstick; and Glinda the good witch, who continues to make her entrance in a bubble. It suddenly dawned on me how much better something appears when one is not viewing under the influence. It got me thinking maybe the 80’s weren’t so bad after all.

The first time I saw Wicked was four years ago when some high-school friends and I got together. It was like old times. We met in Toronto and went for dinner, drinks and the play. And even though we were all viewing while somewhat impaired, I didn't realize until today just how much of that story I missed. Yes the house still falls on the Wicked Witch of the East. (That’s gonna leave a mark) And the Emerald City sure was green. But what surprised me most was the ending. I totally didn’t see that coming and I had forgotten all about it. I suppose this shouldn’t come as a complete surprise. Why there has been many a New Year’s Eve when revellers have failed to recall the events of the evening only to be reminded roughly nine months later. Now that’s a surprise.

No comments: