Saturday, November 13, 2010

Between a Rock and a Hard Place



Never one to be known as the adventurous type (dirt roads scare me) I do however believe if one is heading out alone, telling no one of their where abouts while exploring rugged terrain they are simply asking for trouble. This is exactly what transpires in 127 hours, Danny Boyle's depiction of real-life mountain climber Aron Ralston, played by actor James Franco, who for nearly five days in 2003, became trapped by a boulder while hiking in Utah. I'm not giving anything away by stating the only way out for Ralston is to amputate his own arm after it becomes pinned by the falling boulder. Perhaps knowing how he frees himself becomes rather anti climatic but how he managed to survive those five days is compelling. I was certain I was to lose my already digested lunch at one point but managed to keep it together by simply turning and covering my mouth. (The folks sitting in front of me will never know just how close they came to wearing what I ate.) Suffice it to say, I will from this day forward, carry water with me at all times (and maybe a swiss army knife just in case.

After freeing himself, Ralston still had to rappell 100 feet down the side of the mountain and hike 8 miles before finally getting rescued; all this with the use of only one arm and the other dripping blood.

Now you would think after all of this Ralston would give up mountain climbing. I know I have and I never even started. What he has changed however is never leaving on an adventure without letting his where abouts be known. Lesson learned.

No comments: