Saturday, October 30, 2010

With a Little Help from My Friends


During the chaotic years of kids and careers people unknowingly take their friends for granted. They're either too busy or just too plain tired to get together. But sometimes just knowing they are there for us if needed is enough and the occasional cocktail party; Christmas party or cook-out (American equivalent of a barbecue but with much more liquor) is all that's necessary to get caught up. But like the song says, we all start to realize, we don't know what we've got 'til it's gone.


Not knowing many people in Toronto makes for a long weekend and quite frankly I would take a census taker hostage or welcome Jehovah's witnesses into my condo for some milk and cookies at this point. It's important to cultivate friendships, old and new. Social Networking sure comes in handy and since we're living longer, (life expectancy is now 80.7) friends are more important than ever. No surprise that the fastest growing demographic on the social network scene are baby boomers and the elderly. (Notice how I differentiate the two?) This doesn't surprise me because boomers are nearing retirement and will soon lose contact with work colleagues and work related social activities. And although I haven't retired yet, I did relocate and it turns out the fallout is the same. So some Toronto friends would sure come in real handy right about now. I'm working on that.


But wait. Isn't tomorrow Halloween? Company's coming!

No comments: