Friday, October 29, 2010

Love, Loss and What I Wore


Tonight we saw Love, Loss and What I Wore, a play based on the best-selling book of the same name written by Ilene Beckerman. The show told the stories of clothes and accessories worn through the decades and the memories those items of clothing triggered. For 90 minutes five women told those often funny and sometimes sad stories to the audience. It was very entertaining.


From prom dresses and the dates that went along with them to the wedding dresses and the failed marriages that followed, every piece of clothing and accessory had a story to tell. I particularly related to the story behind the purse; how you can tell a lot about a person from what's in their purse. Mine for instance is more like a tums; it contains 47 times its weight. In the beginning you mean well. The purse holds your wallet; keys; cell phone perhaps and maybe your cheque book. As time goes on you add the occasional tampon that is no longer usable (or necessary); loose tobacco lines the bottom of your purse even though you quit smoking in the 70's; five year old dry cleaning receipts; Kleenex that may or may not have been used and sometimes even your shoes will fit nicely. I could swear if I had ever been a contestant on Let's Make a Deal I could have produced anything from my purse that Monty Hall requested be that bobby pins; a ruler; a deck of cards; any number of prescription drugs; small pets. You name it I had it in my purse.


There were lots of amusing lines like not quite understanding sleeveless turtlenecks; is the person hot or cold? And how it’s too bad in places like Phoenix and Miami they actually wear pink, coral and magenta because it’s too hot to wear black, but no colour can ever replace the colour black. I was so relieved because when it comes to wearing black I am Johnny Cash in drag.

No comments: