Saturday, September 11, 2010

Rescue Me


Today I attended my very first press conference at the Toronto Film Festival for the movie Trust. The panel included David Schwimmer, director and cast members Clive Owen, Catherine Keener and Liana Liberato. Schwimmer, better known as Ross from the long running television program Friends, appeared a little dishevelled. It didn't help that he was sitting right next to Clive Owen. But if I hadn't seen him with my own eyes I would have sworn he was the same guy I just stepped over on King Street West.

I also rescued someone today. Not from a burning building or anything. I heard some bells ringing and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I don't suffer from tinnitus and the Salvation Army's Red Kettle campaign was months away. But then I remembered my spouse had said the elevator shook and seemed to drop a few floors moments before the insidious bell ringing. So I went out to the elevator and yelled hello knowing full well how completely stupid it must look yelling hello to an elevator. I was happy however that I received a "hello" in response. Not that I was happy someone was actually stuck in the elevator but because now it didn't seem so stupid that I in fact yelled at the elevator. So I did what anyone would do if someone were stuck in an elevator. I pictured myself stuck in the elevator and panicked. I could see hyperventilating; hair pulling and screaming incessantly at the top of my lungs all the while dialling 911. Which I did and the fire department had my neighbour out in a few short minutes. But let it be known I was the one who yelled at the elevator.

No comments: