Thursday, September 30, 2010

Give Me a T


I defended Toronto today. It just came out of me like a bad meal. It couldn't be stopped. What does this mean? Could it be I actually like it here? Could it be I enjoy the crowds; the traffic; small spaces; not knowing anyone; unaffordable housing? What's happening to me? I've become sympathetic to my captor. While Toronto threatens to be the death of me it has yet to kill me. I have endured isolation from its people but it is home none the less. I choose to align myself with my captor, the city, rather than having to risk death trying. I am beginning to see the good side of my captor. I do believe I am suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome. I am the Patty Hurst of Toronto. Now what do I do? Don a beret and a M1 carbine and start robbing banks in midtown?
Toronto has allowed me to live. I must repay it in kind by viewing my city in a positive light. No more negatives. What was once noise pollution will now become music to my ears. Condo living will now be “Can do” living. Subway rides will from this day forward will be perceived as pleasure trips. Like the coming of fall I am turning over a new leaf. In the words of Eric Idle, “ Always look on the bright side of your life.” Even if the smog is so thick it threatens to choke you.

No comments: