Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Breaking The Ice


Today was another volunteer day at the Toronto International Film Festival, theatre operations-deliveries. It's a two day commitment and the volunteer must have the willingness and ability to lift up to 30lbs. Well I can dead lift 165 which coincidentally happens to be the exact weight of my spouse. I'm just saying.

I couldn't help but notice that the fellow I was assigned to looked a bit surprised to see me, a middle aged (yuh if I live to be 100) somewhat striking, woman as the volunteer. So he says to me, "Thanks. We could use someone to hold the door and stuff." Condescending? I'm guessing this guy has been shown the door many, many times in his short life. So we get in the van and head to the storage building and Pearl Jam is playing on the radio so I say, "Oh Eddy Vedder is great. My son-in-law got Mike McCready's autograph when he was out in Vancouver recently." Mind you I didn’t have a clue who Mike McCready was until I saw the authentic framed autograph displayed front and centre in my son-in-law’s home. Apparently this is huge if you are indeed a Pearl Jam fan. My point is, this broke the ice.

I tell my TIFF partner not to worry I have lots of experience lifting having worked in New Brunswick for 17 years for the liquor corporation. Well now he's even more impressed because he loves, loves, loves, New Brunswick. (You thought I was going to say liquor right?) We become best theatre operations delivery buddies. Tomorrow we are moving cases of water. Why didn't I stick to the box office line ups?

No comments: