Monday, November 8, 2010

Park at Your Own Risk


Ever have one of those days? Before the clock struck 10 am I had been issued a forty dollar parking ticket from the city of Toronto. I was certain the sign stated parking from 7am to 8pm and it was a residential street. But there are so many freaking signs posted that deciding whether or not to park is really just a matter of rolling the dice.

Attention to detail was never one of my strong suits so getting a ticket was not a huge surprise. But in my defence I do believe one is in need of a law degree to determine whether you can park on Toronto city streets. For instance, there's a sign that specifies four time periods, many of them starting or ending on the quarter hour, during which time there is no parking allowed; but there are three time periods where you are allowed to park-but only for 15 minutes-but only if within a certain window which can vary from 45 minutes in the morning to two hours at lunchtime and one half hour in the afternoon. You know what? They should just install one sign with a photo of Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry and have the sign read, “Do you feel lucky? Well do ya?” I’m just going to pay the damn thing. It’s easier than trying to decipher the signs and plead my stupidity. But I hold no grudge towards those bastard; low life; pieces of shit; parking commissionaires. No not I.

No comments: