Saturday, November 20, 2010

I Yawn, Therefore I Am


I yawn. I'm a yawner. I once blamed my yawning on sleep deprivation. I can't count how many times my yawning has reared its ugly mouth at work (once upon a time in a far away land) while attending meetings in the bored room, I mean boardroom. Why I’ve even recommended certain meetings be considered for sleep deprivation studies, certain these meetings would induce a deep, dark sleep in record time. I do believe I hold that record. But as it turns out the boss and coworkers haven’t been trying to put us to sleep after all.

It would appear yawning is simply a means for the body to prepare the brain for incoming. Yawners weren’t being disrespectful at all. They were just readying their brains for processing information efficiently. I think someone owes me an apology.

Yawning helps the brain maintain balance; lift your mood and increase mental efficiency. And here are some interesting factoids.
On average a yawn lasts six seconds. (So does my attention span.)
There can be as much as a 30% increase in heart rate while yawning.
Within five minutes of seeing someone else yawn, 55 percent of people will do the same. (Same thing happens when seeing someone with a drink, maybe.)
If a blind person listens to a tape of people yawning, they too will yawn.
Olympians often yawn before competition. (Perhaps trying to psych their opponents out)
Reading anything about yawning makes you yawn. (Big sigh)

If these facts are correct then let the yawning begin.

No comments: