Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bite Me


It's that time of year again when we must all synchronize our clocks and fall back one hour. We are all given an extra hour of time to do with what we wish. For instance, you could leave a bar in Hamilton, ON at 1:30 am and arrive at your home in Toronto at precisely the same time. So cool. It's like being a time traveller.

So I'm thinking about writing a book. I already have the title: "Reality TV Bites." Do you remember the commercial, "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV." Well the book will be the same premise only it goes something like this. "I'm not an actor but I play one on TV." Seriously, if I hear of one more reality show! How many real housewives does one person need? There's the real housewives of D.C.; the real housewives of Beverly Hill; the real housewives of Atlanta. And to make matters worse, semi-celebrities are continuing to get their own reality shows the latest one being David Hasselhoff. This is just what the viewing public needs; a washed up Baywatcher eating cheeseburgers on his living room floor, falling down drunk.

Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck produced the movie I'm Still Here, a mockumentary that came about because of the bewilderment that people actually believed reality television to be unscripted. Joaquin pretended to be retiring from acting and entering into a hip-hop career. He stayed in character throughout filming and people genuinely believed the switch from movies to music was legit. Joaquin proved one thing. Unlike these reality stars, he can act.

No comments: