Thursday, October 14, 2010

Survivor Copiapo


Everyone is asking what would you do if you were trapped underground for 69 days? Hell I phoned 911 when my neighbour was trapped in an elevator for 20 minutes with her dog; groceries; a cell phone and lighting. Everyone seems so impressed that the men managed to stay calm, didn't attack each other or go crazy. I found it interesting that one miner ran six miles a day. It sucks that it never rains in mines. That's always my excuse not to run. (Evidently there was an area two kilometres in length that the miners had access to.) Try being stuck in an 1100 square foot condo for that length of time. Trust me I have and I should be congratulated on remaining relatively calm; not attacking my spouse and well in the words of Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad.

Each of those rescued had a very unique story. One fellow had been in the mine for the first time; a mechanic sent down to repair machinery. Talk about bad luck. One miner had both a wife and a mistress. Maybe he felt safe down there. Only the mistress showed up to greet him on his return. I am sure had the wife, he may have been pushed back in. One miner was an avid fan of Elvis and has already been invited to visit Graceland. Each has been offered free wine for a solid year. That in itself should be reward enough for having to endure isolation; hunger; confinement and the knowledge of realizing you may literally be buried alive. Personally I think having no wine for 69 days would be frightening as hell. I sometimes imagine a non-alcoholic hell. Oh the horror!

No comments: