Saturday, June 27, 2009

Grudge match

Q My 61-year-old mother recently passed away after a long battle with multiple sclerosis. During the last days of her life, my sister let Mom know all the things she thought she had done wrong in her life. I was appalled. While we certainly bonded while grieving, in the back of my head I just don't know if I can get over sis's selfishness. What should I do before I'm burdened with my own long-term grudge?

Did your sister author a memoir entitled "Mommie Dearest"? She sounds like a peach.

One's deathbed is not the place to be laying a guilt trip on someone. Talk about adding insult to injury. Dr. Kervorkian would show more mercy.

I am no stranger to holding on to a grudge. I have been known to hold on to a grudge tighter than Poligrip to dentures. But where it gets you is no where fast.

People deal with death in mysterious ways. You must try and put your sister's selfish behaviour behind. Your mom's gone and now you have each other. Try and remember the good times. Your sister may wrestle with her decision to dwell on mistakes your mom may have made. When she realizes the error of her ways, she will need you to be there for her.

No comments: