Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Whine


Twas the week before Christmas and all through the city

the people were rushing and acting real shitty.

The shoppers were ready with plastic in hand

hoping their credit would handle demand


The children were wondering "what's wrong with my mom?

Was it something we said or maybe we've done?"

No it's just Christmas. The season's upon us.

The money, the mayhem, the malls, and the madness.


Then out of the blue she gets an idea.

What if Christmas were cancelled for just this one year?

Would we miss it and wish that it hadn't been gone?

Or continue along as if it hadn't belonged?


Think of the money we'd save on this day.

Instead it's the mortgage and phone bill we'd pay.

Perhaps take that trip we've been dreaming about.

It has to be better than Christmas no doubt.


All that drinking and eating and wrapping til dawn.

The weight gain, the headaches the carrying on.

Life's greatest pleasures don't come in a box.

Unless it is vintage or big sparkling rocks.


So what's the big problem? What would we miss?

What If the season would cease to exist?

What would replace this age old event?

Where would all of our time then be spent?


The stores would be empty; no twinkling of lights

no candy, no presents, no silent nights.

No Christmas tree needles to sweep off the floor.

No holiday parties that just seem a bore.


Would you miss Uncle Jack asking "Why aren't you wed?

Don't you just wish you could say "Go drop dead!"

Just whisk it away make it all disappear.

No carols, no fruit cake and no Christmas cheer.


But wait. Am I wrong. Is there something I missed?

Why do I wish Christmas ceased to exist?

How do I get back that goodwill I lack.

Goodwill towards men and old Uncle Jack?


Liquor is quicker according to Nash

I'll just head to the store and I'll get me a cache.

Dull all the senses and in a blink of an eye

I'll be asking, "Get rid of Christmas?" But why?


I'll start with some wine and some cheese on a platter.

Whether it's red or it's white or rosé doesn't matter.

I'll drink to the season and hope for the best.

All of life's problems will roll off my chest.


I'll love all the hustle and bustling about.

I'll realize it's Christmas I can't live without.

It's all about family and friends far and near.

Good food and good times and a whole lot of cheer.


Oh now I can't wait for the day to arrive.

I act like a child and I feel so alive.

Things that once seemed so wrong now seem right.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

No comments: